The FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands competition showcases young musicians from around Victoria, giving them the opportunity to perform, gain local exposure, and win their way to a spot on the Push Over festival line up. There’s also a bunch of cool prizes they can win from our generous sponsors (check out the prize list below).
Regional heats are hosted by FReeZA Committees each year from February to August, with the winners going on to compete in Regional Finals from October to December. The Grand Final is held at the annual Push Over festival in March. Each FReeZA Committee that hosts a heat is supported to ensure that FReeZA Push Start is not only a platform for young performers, but a platform for young event organisers and promoters alike.
» More Push Start information (external link)
In 2013 over 340 young bands from across Victoria battled it out over 68 heats to compete in the FReeZA Push Start competition. The winning bands went through to play at nine Regional Finals, where the winners have earned themselves a spot at the Grand Final at The Push Pop-Up Stage at Moomba.
Regional Final Events
Barwon Regional Final
Warrnambool - Ignite Youth FReeZA
October 4 @ The Lighthouse Theatre, Warrnambool
Winner: Residual (Geelong West)
Hume Regional Final
Bright - Apline Crew FReeZA
October 5 @ Bright Skate Park
Winner: Listerdale (Baranduda)
Gippsland Regional Final
Bairnsdale - Bairnsdale FReeZA
October 11 @ Bairnsdale Secondary College, Bairnsdale
Winner: Darcy Fox (Moe)
Northern Metro Regional Final
Moreland - Ampred Up Productions
October 12 @ Mechanics Institute, Brunswick
Winner: The Rims (Alphington)
Northern Country Regional Final
Wedderburn - Loddon FReeZA
October 18 @ Wedderburn Town Hall
Winner: Bel Air (Alfredton)
Mallee Wimmera Regional Final
Hosham - Horsham FReeZA
November 1 @ Nexus Youth Centre, Horsham
Winner: Worship The Fallen (Mildura)
Western Metro Regional Final
Melton - Ignite Productionz FReeZA
November 2 @ Melton Community Hall
Winner: Great John Himself (Airport West)
Eastern Metro Regional Final
Manningham - Fusion FReeZA
November 8 @ Doncaster Secondary College
Winner: Alkali Fly (Croydon)
Southern Metro Regional Final
Mornington - Impakt FReeZA
December 13 @ Peninsula Community Theatre
Winner: Baking Blind (Dingley)
What is the major prize for winning the Grand Final of the FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands?
- Day of engineering, producing, recording and mixing from Hothouse Studios;
- Jack The Bear Deluxe Mastering session;
- Pressing of 500 copies of your recording and a graphic design layout session by DEX Audio;
- $1000 poster/flyer printing campaign from Shout Out Loud Print;
- Kit of 'band supplies' including a Mapex snare drum, Vater drum sticks, Elixir guitar and bass strings, Samson vocal mic, DI and headphones and Hercules mic and guitar stands from Electric Factory;
- Tee Shirt run of 50x 1 colour print (valued at $500) from Love Police
- Merchandise hosting from Fist2Face in physical and online stores
- $1000 package of "Hard Rocker" bean bags from King Kahuna;
- $1000 Plakkit poster campaign;
- Digital Distribution campaign by Valleyarm;
- Clothes and accessories for each band member from Dangerfield;
- Artist Feature on The Push website; and
- Artist interview / feature article in Beat Magazine.
Where can I find more information about the competition?
Are you in a young band and looking for the chance to perform, gain local exposure, and win your way to grabbing a spot on the Grand Final line up along with winning a bunch of cool prizes? Then check out the Push Start information page to find out everything you need to know about entry guidelines and submitting an application form.
If you're a lover of loud and live music events, or perhaps just want to show your support for the local talent in your area, check out the list of Battle heats and regional final events happening around Victoria!
Back to top.