The FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands competition showcases young musicians from around Victoria, giving them the opportunity to perform, gain local exposure, and win their way to a spot on the Push Over festival line up. There’s also a bunch of cool prizes they can win from our generous sponsors (check out the prize list below).
Regional heats are hosted by FReeZA Committees each year from February to August, with the winners going on to compete in Regional Finals from October to December. The Grand Final is held at the annual Push Over festival in March. Each FReeZA Committee that hosts a heat is supported to ensure that FReeZA Push Start is not only a platform for young performers, but a platform for young event organisers and promoters alike.
» More Push Start information (external link)
The current series of the FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands has commenced across Victoria. If you're in in a young band and looking for the chance to perform, gain local exposure, and win your way to grabbing a spot on the Grand Final line up along with winning a bunch of cool prizes, then check it out.
What type of bands/acts can enter?
The FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands competition is open to any style of music, including bands, soloists, duos, hip hop artists, electronic acts, acoustic acts, etc. It is of most benefit to artists performing original material.
What are the guidelines for entry?
You should familiarise yourself with all of the guidelines before entering the FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands competition.
Download the 2014 Artist Application Form and Guidelines here.
The following are general guidelines:
- All band members must live, work or study in Victoria.
- Half of the band members must be 21 years of age or under, with no members exceeding 25 years of age at the time of the first heat event.
- Any act that has won a heat event and competed in a Regional Final in any previous year is not eligible to re-enter.
- The band or its members must not have a recording, publishing or distribution deal.
- At the discretion of the FReeZA worker, the band must live, work, study or recreate in the City or Shire where their heat is held.
- Entry is free of charge, but participants must cover all costs incurred by travel and accommodation.
How do I enter the FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands?
Battle heats are run from February to August, with most FReeZA committees taking part. Many FReeZA groups across Victoria have started to call for band submissions, find your local group here and contact the worker or check their facebook pages to find out.
Then download the 2014 Artist Application Form and Guidelines, complete every section and submit it to your local FReeZA worker.
What was the major prize for winning the Grand Final of the FReeZA Push Start Battle of the Bands in 2013?
- Day of engineering, producing, recording and mixing from Hothouse Studios;
- Jack The Bear Deluxe Mastering session;
- Pressing of 500 copies of your recording and a graphic design layout session by DEX Audio;
- $1000 poster/flyer printing campaign from Shout Out Loud Print;
- Kit of 'band supplies' including a Mapex snare drum, Vater drum sticks, Elixir guitar and bass strings, Samson vocal mic, DI and headphones and Hercules mic and guitar stands from Electric Factory;
- Tee Shirt run of 50x 1 colour print (valued at $500) from Love Police
- Merchandise hosting from Fist2Face in physical and online stores
- $1000 package of "Hard Rocker" bean bags from King Kahuna;
- $1000 Plakkit poster campaign;
- Digital Distribution campaign by Valleyarm;
- Artist Feature on The Push website; and
- Artist interview / feature article in Beat Magazine
The APRA Award for Songwriting Winner will receive a music industry prize pack of $150 worth of books from APRA. All Grand Finalists will recieve a summary of the judges notes from the Regional Final and the Grand Final for their professional development from The Push.
Want more information?
For more information about the competition, or to view a list of heats, go to www.thepush.com.au.